16th QUEENS LANCERS VICTORIAN CAP BADGE
A fine bi metal Victorian cap badge, with blow holes and two loops to reverse. Both tips of Lance`s have been strengthened, or replaced, an excellent job. Hence price.
Reference K & K Vol 1 item 779 page 215.
The 16th The Queen's Lancers was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first raised in 1759. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated into the 16th/5th Lancers in 1922.
in 1816, as the 16th (The Queen's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). In the course of 24 years unbroken service in India, from 1822 to 1846, the regiment saw action in both the 1st (including the capture of Ghuznee) and 2nd Afghan Wars, the Maharatta War and the Sikh War of 1845-46. As lancers they were the first British regiment to use this weapon, at the Siege of Bhurtpore in 1826
The regimental title was simplified in 1861 to the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers. The Regiment was posted to India in the early 1900s, but took part in the Second Boer War in South Africa 1900-1901.
After service in the First World War the regiment was retitled as the 16th The Queen's Lancers in 1921 and amalgamated with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16th/5th Lancers (later the 16th/5th The Queen's Royal Lancers) the following year.