WW2 36th INDEPENDENT INFANTRY BRIGADE FORMATION SIGN.
A very scarce woven yellow acorn, inverted, in a green cup with sprig, all on a khaki ground. Reference https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30072761
The badge represents the Kentish cob-nut which was deemed an appropriate symbol for a Brigade composed of Kentish units. The Brigade was formed as a second-line Territorial Brigade on 7 October 1939 as a duplicate of 132nd Brigade. It was part of 12th Infantry Division and went to France on 20 April 1940 as one of the three so-called 'Labour Divisions' on the Lines of Communication. The intention was that these Divisions, all deficient in men, equipment and training, would complete mobilization and training in France. When the German armour broke through at Sedan these Divisions were nevertheless called forward and 12th Division was destroyed piecemeal. The Divisional commander, Petre, was detached to command the Arras garrison, 37th Brigade was dispersed on the approach to the Somme, and 35th Brigade was destroyed around Abbeville. 36th Brigade was destroyed on 20 May when two of its battalions were overrun by panzer formations south of Arras, the third battalion having been detached to Albert where it too was engaged by German mechanized forces. Only details managed to return to the UK. The Brigade was reconstituted in the UK on 8 June 1940 on cadres from the original three battalions, 6th and 7th Royal West Kents and 5th Buffs. On 28 June it was redesignated as an Independent Brigade, the badge almost certainly dating from this period. On 22 June 1942 it was redesignated an Infantry Brigade and joined 78th Division. It fought under this command for the remainder of the war, in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.